28 August 2020

F***ers have me blogging now.

...and that's a good thing. 

STATE OF THE GAME

I had put my long-running game to bed some time ago, and like most things it died with a whimper - nuclear explosion notwithstanding.

It had its roots in my World of Greyhawk shared campaign world from the 80s, and persistent NPCs, history, and had traveled from rules-set to rules-set from , 2nd Edition AD&D->RIFTS->GURPS->Savage Worlds.

Those roots had become shackles.  The continuity (I'm kind of a nut about continuity) had become

After being rudderless for sometime, I decided to go back to D&D.  I had played a few sessions of some flavor of 3.X; played one 4e game at a convention (it was fun, but didn't feel like D&D), and started running a Pathfinder Adventure path.

None of them quite clicked for me... and I dipped into 5e.  It's pretty ok.  There's sections still lifted whole-cloth from 1st edition, and its backed off from some of 3.5/Pathfinder-isms.

What's got me ACTUALLY inspired is my new home-brew world.  I'm taking a more old-school approach to world building; nothing exists unless it needs to - I only render it when the PCs get there.

We're two plus years in of not quite once a week gaming, and I'm just now finishing the map of the campaign area.  It's been pretty liberating.

So most of my posts will be of interest to my players, lurkers, and other GMs.

No comments:

Post a Comment